Rooks suffer last gasp defeat at Enfield Town

A last-minute goal saw Lewes suffer a disappointing defeat at Enfield, just when it looked as though they had salvaged a point with a late goal of their own just a minute earlier reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made two changes to the side that had beaten Dulwich Hamlet just three days earlier, with Henry Muggeridge and Lloyd Cotton replacing Leon Redwood and Lee Carey in the starting line-up.

The Rooks got off to the worst possible start by falling behind after just three minutes, with Corey Whitely getting in behind the back four and finishing past Chris Winterton. The game was bogged down in midfield for much of the rest of the half, with Lewes struggling to test a resolute Enfield back four but also looking more solid defensively themselves after a disappointing start to the game.

Enfield looked the more likely scorers though, and Winterton had to be alert to save a Tyler Campbell effort after he had found space in the penalty area.

The Rooks made a brighter start to the second half and came close to equalising within minutes of the restart, as Dee Okojie sent a volley from the edge of the area just wide.  Lewes were enjoying more possession than they had done before the break, but were being restricted to long-range efforts, with Ronnie Conlon shooting over from the edge of the area.

The hosts continued to pose an occasional threat going forward and saw both Bobby Devyne and Ryan Doyle denied by Winterton as they looked to find a second goal that would almost certainly have sealed the win.  The Rooks almost made the most of this with just minutes remaining, as Jonte Smith saw a towering far-post header from a James Hammond cross cleared off the line by Bradley Quinton.

Lewes were given an even better chance to equalise with just a minute of normal time remaining, as they were awarded a penalty when a dangerous cross was adjudged to have been handled by a home defender.  Smith held his nerve during the long wait between the penalty being awarded and him being able to take it due to the protests of the Enfield players, and duly sent Nathan McDonald the wrong way from the spot to level the scores.

It looked at this stage as though the Rooks would leave North London with a hard-earned point, only for the hosts to regain the lead almost straight after the restart through Doyle, who beat Winterton to a dubiously-awarded free-kick to power a header into the unguarded net and send Lewes to their first defeat of 2016.

The Rooks will hope to bounce back from this result when they host Grays Athletic at the Pan next Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Enfield Town: McDonald, Doyle, Bihmoutine, Vilcu, Joseph, Livings, Campbell (Stevens 75), Quinton, Devyne (Bola 90), Ottaway, Whitely (Da Cruz 90).

Unused Subs: Muguo, Kouassi.

Booked: Bola, Da Cruz.

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, Muggeridge, Carey, Freeman, Malins, Conlon, Hammond, Smith, Laing, Okojie (McCreadie 63).

Unused Subs: Carey, Badger, Dramis, Stroomberg.

Booked: Laing, Malins

Attendance: 348


Author: stuartnoel

Nearly prize winning author of Passport to Football, Budget Airline Football and European Football - A Fans Guide.